Located a stones throw from Albert Park and South Melbourne Markets on Melbourne’s Clarendon Street is the Coppersmith Hotel. A boutique hotel with only 15 rooms it is only the two exterior walls which remain from the original 1870’s building which was gutted and redesigned to make it what it is today. A modern hotel, with an industrial vibe which features exposed steel beams, hints of copper throughout as well as exposed brick and sheer curtains. Timber panelling and leather cupboard handles are a welcome sight to the bedrooms which are home to a neutral colour palette that helps create a relaxed, light atmosphere.
Spanning four levels, including a restaurant/pub and rooftop bar the Coppersmith is well thought out with ironing boards stored under the bed, bathrooms that allow you room to move and even wooden hooks to hang clothes on as you enter (sounds simple I know, but really how many hotels actually do this?!) it is a comfortable stay and easy access to Melbourne’s CBD without being in the heart of it.
I woke up most mornings with a walk through Albert Park and finished my days at the gastronomic bar admiring the design aesthetic and people watching. With the design by Hassell Studio it is not surprising it has remained a South Melbourne icon.
- The Coppersmith has 15 rooms, 14 of which are Queen bedrooms and 1 King bedroom.
- The restaurant/bar is available to hire for functions and events.
- Each room features recordable Foxtel, Nespresso Machines, Flat screen TV’s and even hair straighteners on request (the list really does go on…)
- A 20 minute walk to Crown Casino, a tram stop out the front of the hotel and Albert Park a 5 minute walk away this inner city suburb is close to it all without the hustle and bustle.
- Visit The Coppersmith Hotel for more info.
Images photographed by Chadwoo Images for Stories by Stella.